This month’s in our Slow Wine section, Sara- our founder- and Poonam- Rasta Farmers co-founder, talk about two key events that happened in March: International Women’s Day and Global Recycling Day.
In this post, we decided to give a few tips on how to recycle in your day to day and within your wardrobe.
Every year, the Earth yields billions of tons of natural resources and at some point, in the not too distant future, it will run out. The importance of sustainability arises when our consumption habits far exceed our requirement of the Earth's resources. WWF (World Wildlife Fund) has calculated that over 30% of the Earth's natural resources have been destroyed in the last 30 years. The World Counts states "If Earth's history is squeezed into one year, modern humans have existed for 37 minutes and used up a third of Earth's natural resources in the last 0.2 seconds". It is definitely time to slow down.
If we take a look at the clothing waste, globally, an estimated 92 million tonnes of textiles waste is created each year and the equivalent to a rubbish truck full of clothes ends up on landfill sites every second.
At Saatxa, we believe in creating balance within your wardrobe and that every little action helps, so here a few tips from our side:
Wear your wardrobe: there is no option more "sustainable" than the clothes that you already have. Be creative and try new outfit combinations!
Pre-love items: "someone's waste is someone's treasure". There are lots of apps and Instagram profiles with an amazing selection of items, just to name a few: @bohemecuration, @curateandrotate and @tdepop
- Rent your clothes: why buy a dress for a wedding (that let's be honest most probably you are only going to wear it once), when you can rent it? Check @byrotationofficial.
- Fix your clothes: you can learn how to sew or you can ask someone, for example, @sojo_app the ‘Deliveroo’ for clothing alterations and repairs
Of course, we work with brands that work with recycled material, re-using and reducing the waste that goes into our landfill. Plus, they produce their pieces on a small scale!
At Rasta Farmers, we believe in living more sustainably through our “Soul Satisfying Swaps with the Earth in Mind”. We understand that reducing our carbon footprint can often feel like a difficult task, but it doesn’t have to be! Here a few products swaps very easy to make in our daily routine:
- Switch to reusables wherever possible – for example to buds and cotton pads.
- Use skincare and haircare products that are eco-friendly, from natural ingredients and plastic-free packaging. Did you take a look at our amazing selection of slow-beauty?
Upgrade your sleep with materials that will make your body melt without jeopardizing our planet. Luxury fabrics that naturally regulate temperature, wick moisture and look incredible. Linen & Bamboo are grown organically at Soil Association Standards, and both fabrics are made to last. Check Rasta Farmers bed collection.
- On dental care products, you can swap to recyclable electric toothbrush heads and bamboo toothbrushes. These are inexpensive alternatives to products that we use everyday.
At Saatxa and Rasta Farmers, we believe that if everyone made a few swaps the planet would be in a much better state! Remember, there is no planet B!
If you missed our IG Live, feel free to check it out on our Instagrams @saatxa and @rastafarmers!